
Back in college, I joined Big Brothers Big Sisters and was paired with a 4th grader named Erin. She was so shy and sweet & I remember thinking I talked way too much when we were together. We would go on shopping trips, to the movies, or just to hang out at my apartment.
This past weekend I picked her up on Saturday morning. We went to Chang Mai Thai in Uptown for lunch (I could eat that green curry everyday) and went shopping for a confirmation outfit for church the next day. Everything we found was way too low cut...so we decided against buying anything new. Then, we made a plan to be adventurous and go to Rollergirls at the Roy Wilkins Auditorium.
After parking at the MN Boat Club (one of our venues at work), I was pretty pumped we found parking for free. Especially because I consider St. Paul to be the bastard step-child of Minneapolis...finding a thrifty trick was pretty surprising because I don't spend much time there. We arrived as the first 'Jam' was beginning. My friend Vance from school was there & very anxious to explain the rules to us. Essentially, the two teams rollerskate around the rink & one woman from each team tries to pass through the group to loop around the rink scoring points for their team. Mostly, the other team tries to 'bump' the other ones off the track.
The ladies are tough, wear really short skirts, have lots of tatoos and get really mad when they are sent to the penalty box. The coolest part is that most of the revenue goes to charity. Pretty cool. The stands were full & people would cheer when their favorite skater was announced in the line-up.
Before Erin left, I had her look through my entire closet to see if she wanted anything. It was mostly my stuff from college that no longer looks good/fits me. I got together about half my closet and Erin took home about half of that pile. The rest I brough to work today and had Jenni & Natalie look through. They took a few things & the rest I'm dropping at the Salvation Army. That clears up a lot of room for getting clothes...that are a little more age appropriate.
On Sunday, I had my bat mitzvah at the Plymouth Creek Center & things went really well. I love to watch the dance floor as girls and boys split down the center and huddle into groups. This is the same DJ company that apparently had kid's chug pixie sticks at one of our past bat mitzvah's until one of the kid's puked on the dance floor.
My bathroom is very close to being done. The grouting on the shower/shower pan is left, putting up a light fixture, mirror, and ordering a specialty shower door. I hope my next picture will be of my finished bathroo. Can't wait to live at home again. I'm feeling a little homeless.

No comments:
Post a Comment