Friday, August 28, 2009

a little bit of history...


Yesterday was so much fun. The picnic dinner over at my parents was great. My mom did a great job making an awesome spread of summer food with all the little odds and ends in mind. She had a tub of Corona, Bud Lite Lime, juice boxes for the kids, and pop. For dinner we had burgers, hot dogs, tuna salad, potato salad & coleslaw. All the salads were homemade. She put in so much work. It felt wonderful sitting outside on the patio and smelling the hikory charcoal grill. It was kind of like our 'goodbye' to summer.

I didn't get to see much of my dad's roast video, so we are going to set-up another time to watch it.

I got a little bit of history while I was there. We packed up my grandma's cherry wood dining room table & cherry wood chairs to brought it to my dining room. I moved out my old table/chairs for the patio (because, I had been using it in my dining room)! It is a LARGE table, in a SMALL house...but I kind of love it. The chairs are definitely antique, I just hope my cats dont' get any ideas for replacing their scratching post. I'm going to take a picture tonight and post it.

I think my goal tomorrow is going to be hiring a handyman to fix the weird things that keep breaking or falling apart in my house. That guy, may be my step-dad Dave...but I almost want to get a recommendation from someone on a reasonably priced, independent handy-man. Maybe Tim from work? He's always crazy busy...but he's someone I trust (and someone I can pick on at work if he messes up!). Haha!

I'm enjoying a Deepak Chopra audio CD during the trips in my car. It's all about inspiration & the rules of success. Listening to him is so calming yet motivating. One thing he mentions is that we are all taught to live the opposite of the mystery of life. We are taught to see the world as something outside of ourselves that we are experiencing. We work against our true nature in so many ways, trying to control, to strive for material possesions and gain status in lives we consider separate from those around us.

He says that we should live like the cells in our body live...supporting the greater system (each other), living with passion of purpose, using only that which we need & never hoarding or consuming excess, etc. If our body's cells lived like we have been taught to, the body would not survive. So why, have we gone against the very nature that created us & exists within us? Until we decide to consider the world as part of us & until we realize we are connected to everything and everyone around us...the mystery of life will not manifest. Something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to TOP