
I wish I knew...
I kind of feel a little green in this area of life. For example, today a bride & groom told me they wanted to meet to sign a contract. Once they arrived, it was nothing but questions on why we have this fee, and that charge, and so on. They used the excuse "The other event spaces we checked into didn't have these fees, can you waive them for us?". I list all of the fees associated with the venue up front in the very first email.
I kind of feel a little green in this area of life. For example, today a bride & groom told me they wanted to meet to sign a contract. Once they arrived, it was nothing but questions on why we have this fee, and that charge, and so on. They used the excuse "The other event spaces we checked into didn't have these fees, can you waive them for us?". I list all of the fees associated with the venue up front in the very first email.
After meetings like this, I just try not to look too taken-aback (though I usually am...). When people start to complain I feel my insides recoil and sink. I guess I just think I try pretty hard to make people happy and I really care, so I hate when people feel like I'm 'swindling' them. I also don't really like to waive everything, then we get swindled because running a business costs money.
Working here for 2 years has taught me one major thing: People that have problems right off the bat, will have MANY more problems with your services down the road. Sometimes, something is for you and sometimes it's not.
Negotiation has it's place of course, there is not denying that. But please, when you negotiate...don't ask for the house to waive every imaginable profit-making center. You wouldn't walk into the grocery store and accuse Cub Foods of charging too much for cheese. Ask instead, for maybe one thing, politely.
Working here for 2 years has taught me one major thing: People that have problems right off the bat, will have MANY more problems with your services down the road. Sometimes, something is for you and sometimes it's not.
Negotiation has it's place of course, there is not denying that. But please, when you negotiate...don't ask for the house to waive every imaginable profit-making center. You wouldn't walk into the grocery store and accuse Cub Foods of charging too much for cheese. Ask instead, for maybe one thing, politely.

No comments:
Post a Comment