Tuesday, November 3, 2009

my take on the wonder vitamin! D3.


In our Pathology class, our instructor was discussing the news on the newest wonder vitamin: D3. She was raving about the health benefits and how important it is for us to take it.

Now, I am no MD, but here is my take on what I've learned. Vitamin D3 is normally attained through exposure to sunlight. Two big problems: 1. We are usually stuck inside all day with limited exposure to the sun…not to mention the recent scares of skin cancer and use of sunscreens. 2. I live in Minne-snow-ta. Brr…Sunless throughout much of the year=Seasonal Affect Disorder. Now, I think to a small degree each of us suffers from the ‘winter blues’.

Let me just keep my head low in saying *shame*, I have followed many a natural nutrition trend. You could say that I am a ‘sucker’ for reading, buying and understanding the natural nutrition movement…but a total failure when it comes to following through on that knowledge. I tend to buy stuff and then forget or quit taking the required juice, caplets, or powders.
It reminds me of that guy in my massage classes than raves about the health benefits of all natural nutrition and rain drop therapy with essential oils…only to come back after class breaks with a Snickers in one hand and a Mountain Dew in the other…reeking of the smoke he just had outside mixed with his colongne ala lavender essential oil. Yuck. Yah, something like that.

I was excited about Vitamin D3’s benefits so I headed to Nutrition Plus and bought 2 packs. I take 8,000 IU a day, a little less than the maximum recommended dose. The pills are super small round beads that actually taste kind of sweet if you catch one on your tongue. I keep them at my desk at work and take them with lunch, all at once.

Here are some of the listed health benefits of Vitamin D3:
-reduced depression
-improved bone health (including your teeth!)
-cognitive enhancement
-cancer immunity-immunity (regulates T cells)
-it is also said to help with a variety of other health problems including:
high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, & rheumatoid arthritis.

So after taking the vitamin for 1 month, what have I noticed?:

a more stable mood & better digestion (surprisingly).

Thought I’d share the news!
Happy pill popping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to TOP