Monday, May 25, 2009

Before & After - My backyard garden

BEFORE

Garden overhaul! Within one week my backyard garden has come together. I'm so happy with the result. Yesterday, T came over and helped me with the backyard. I cleared out about 20 garbage bags full of leaves, old weedliner, etc to the curb. Crossing my fingers that the Hennepin Cty. garbage gods bless me and pick it up. T and I went to the Farmer's Market by International Square. It was so busy, bumper to bumper people. We got some lilies, herbs, and some dahlias. I was so excited to find lavender, because it smells so amazing and is supposed to bring good luck. We strolled all the rows and just took in all the awesome smells and sights. It was so refreshing.

We headed to Sunnyside gardening in Edina and picked up the rest of the flowers. We got a beautiful peony, cosmos, moneywort for filler, and some others that I forgot the name of! When all of the new plants were in the ground it was so beautiful! Even though most of them are just starting, there is enough for the flower bed to look full and complete. While I was digging, I found Mr. Toad again in a whole. That's twice that he's escaped my digging to just pop right out and run away. Lucky little guy.
T and I even pulled up the dead sod in my front yard so I could make attempt #2 at growing totally shaded grass. Then, my neighbors gave me the idea to just build a stone patio right up front instead of trying to grow grass. I think it's actually a really good idea (low maintenance too!), but the work involved sound like a process. I am going to run it by my family and Nathan to see what they think!

I tried out my new fire pit last night too, apparently it was a little too close to the house because the siding started to melt in one little spot. It was so nice to move out my patio furniture and have a fire pit. I'm going to make another one tonight if I can find some firewood!

Today I might head out to Jordan to see Sarah's new house, then my mom and Dave wanted to stop by and check out the garden. Should be a nice relaxing day. Because it is Memorial Day, I try call to thank Dave for his service to our country during Vietnam. Thank you to everyone who sacrifices serving our country so we can enjoy life and be safe.
AFTER


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coming! BTW, you can follow us on twitter @mplsfarmmarket

    ReplyDelete

Back to TOP