Sunday, May 17, 2009

Milwaukee Surprise

I haven't been able to write about the surprise I've been planning for Nathan the last few weeks (because of course, he can read this!). I wanted to do something really special for him. So, after writing my 101 in 1001 goal list, I was inspired to plan a weekend getaway trip to see one of his favorite bands, Blue October. I checked out their concert list & they were playing in Milwaukee on Thursday 5/14. Granted, it's a 5.5 hour trip, so I thought it would be even better to surprise him with 2 days off work too! I worked it out with his (very cool) boss, Lilly. She not only approved the 2 days off, she actually emailed him to keep his schedule open on Thurs/Friday due to potential work-related things. Awesome!

So, I got off work as well, planned for my parents to take Dixie, bought tickets to the concert, etc. It was so much fun to plan! I am the worst secret keeper, so I was amazed that I didn't slip up when I was around Nathan the last couple of weeks. The plan went perfectly, Thursday morning I packed up my car w/ all my stuff & all the road trip food...headed to Nathan's to pick-up Dixie and pack his bags. It was hilarious trying to figure out which clothes to pack him?! That was the most challenging part! Then, I drove to Stillwater...dropped Dixie and headed to Orchesta Hall to surprise him. I sped...I was pumped.

I had an usher bring me to his office (because it has locked doors on the way), and walked into his doorway and said 'Hiiii'. He had no idea what was going on....totally confused. It was awesome! I thought for sure the last few days he would have caught on! I told him to pack his stuff & put an away message up on his office computer because he was off work for the next 2 days! He looked confused again...and I told him I was taking him to Milwaukee to see Blue October & everything was set. He asked about Dixie...and I told him it was taken care of. He got up & changed into the outfit I brought. Then, we hopped in the car and Nathan (after spending so much time of the road) drove us right to Milwaukee!






We arrived a couple hours before the concert started! I was worried we'd be late. The Blue October concert was amazing, they are truly an awesome live band. Even though I love hip hop, I enjoted every song they played. It was a great time & I think Nathan really loved it. It was great to have that time with him. We haven't had a weekend together in a very long time!






On Saturday, we toured the Miller Brewery & the Lakefront Brewery. We even did the Lakefron't Fish Fry Friday...complete with polka dancing and fried cod. Hahah. The full Milwaukee experience. On Saturday, we headed back to Minnesota with a couple stops at random towns. I worked a Bat Mitzvah...challening client to say the very least. I felt so bad for our Captain Nikki...who was getting hassled on every turn for our set-up and portions.

Today, Nathan and I came back to my house and Nathan helped me pull up the old garden fabric lining, old cendar chips and dead plants/weeds. He did everything! Poor guy, and he was a little under the weather. Dave and Mom came over and helped too. Nathan rototilled the entire area. It was a ton of work in the hot sun. When we were done, we even got to plant some iris & pansy flowers. It looks so different & I can't wait until Sunday this week for Theresa to help me bring it all together.

I got 3 things done on my life goal list this weekend 1. bring nathan to a blue october concert 2. make a garden 3. buy a microfiber sectional

Theresa bought my old white Ikea couch, it worked out perfectly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to TOP